Have you ever considered what you are exposed to from the art mediums you use?
I am living a very healthy lifestyle, which includes absolutely no harmful chemicals in makeup, deodorant, soap, washing detergents and use no sprays, nail polish, perfume or cremes. The one thing that escaped me is how toxic my art materials are! I use epoxy resin, oil paint, turpentine and laser cutting machines on a regular basis. After doing my research, here are my solutions;
1. Try not to use acrylic paint, pastels, spray paint or epoxy resin.
2. Keep all paints and glues in plastic zip bags, away from the bedroom.
3. Always use a good quality air filter mask when working with spray paint and epoxy resin.
4. Always open windows during and after working with paint, epoxy and glues.
5. Don’t use turpentine for oil paint.
- I use many brushes for painting and clean them with oil instead. After I am done, I clean them with turpentine on my balcony, disposing all napkins straight out of the house after I am done.
6. No food around paints, ever!
7. Always use gloves for epoxy resin and painting with fingers.
8. Always apply varnish outside and leave the artwork outside until it dries.
Dubai Art Blog